This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
 

Woodheys Club Ltd

299 Washway RoadSaleCheshireM33 4EE
  Navigation Road Station  more details »
Category: Clubs & Associations
Write a Review
  Add photo  Share  Add to Favourites

Show Larger Map

Photos

Directions From   Go
            

About

We do not currently have any additional information about this business. If you have been here, why not tell us a bit more about it by giving it a rating or adding a comment or review?
 
Read More »« Less

Reviews

avatar
 
Posted:
3:17 PM 28-10-2010
Woodheys Club History and Description
THE WOODHEYS CLUB

During the Second World War, the B & C Companies of the 23rd. Cheshire Battalion of the Home Guard set up their headquarters in Woodheys House on Washway Road.
Whilst they were using the building, they set up a bar to help them while away the lonely and uneventful hours in the rambling old house. The house had been built by William Brooks in the mid 19th. Centuary for a cotton merchant and had many owners over the years before Groves and Whitnall, brewers, bought it in the 30s. At the outbreak of the war in 1939, the house was being used as a private school which then evacuated to North Wales leaving the house empty.
When the Home Guard took over, they constructed rifle butts in the land to the rear of the house, this land has now been cultivated as allotments.
When the war ended in 1945, the Home Guard was disbanded, or as some would have it, de-mobbed. The old comrades enjoyed their war and decided to perpetuate the comradeship they had engendered by forming the Woodheys Club. They approached the brewery, Groves and Whitnalls who agreed to help them set up the Club and levied a reasonable rent for the building. The brewery also helped in setting up the bars and cellar.
Over the years, the Club grew and in 1955 they suffered a financial crisis. To solve their problems the committee of the day decided to do the unthinkable, and admit ladies as associate members. The Club consisted of two rooms, one with two snooker tables and a second front room which was used for functions. Upstairs there was a self contained flat which, over the years, housed the Stewards and their spouses.
The Club has had an interesting and varied history and in 1985 it was decided to form a limited liability company. At this time we managed to negotiate and secure a lease for 125 years for an initial payment of £40,000 with an annual rent of â??one peppercornâ? if required! At this time the Club was extended and a Snug Bar was added together with a third snooker table which was situated in an area called the Chapel. Membership was capped at 1000 and peaked at 900+
In the 90â??s further expansion of the Snug area and improvement of toilet facilities occurred to bring the Club into itsâ?? present state. The Club is available for private parties, functions and outside groups by arrangement with the Club Manager or Secretary.
The Club has not been without itsâ?? fair share of characters and there are at least two ghosts that are said to frequent the cellars, one being that of a long dead member who was often unable to make his way home after an evening of imbibing revelry and, subsequently, entering into a private arrangement with the Steward to allow him the use of a bed in the beer cellar! The second ghost currently remains mysteriously anonymous.

Peter N. Bramley

Was this helpful? Yes | No
 
 
Add a Review
 
You need to be signed in to to rate or review this business.
 
 
If you have an account, click below to sign in
Don't have an account?
 
Register

Similar Businesses

The Linden Club
 
0.59 miles    
The Timperley Taverners
 
0.62 miles    

Nearby Hotels

The Belmore
 
0.76 miles    
Amblehurst Hotel
 
0.85 miles    
Normanhurst Hotel
 
1.01 miles    

Nearby Restaurants

Socrates Taverna
 
1.14 miles    
Roma Restaurant
 
1.29 miles    
Dettori's at the Cresta Court
 
1.62 miles    
Indian Curry Cottage
 
0.47 miles    
 
The Linden Club
 
0.59 miles    
The Timperley Taverners
 
0.62 miles    
The Belmore
 
0.76 miles    
 
  Book rooms »
Amblehurst Hotel
 
0.85 miles    
 
  Book rooms »
Normanhurst Hotel
 
1.01 miles    
 
  Book rooms »
Socrates Taverna
 
1.14 miles    
Roma Restaurant
 
1.29 miles    
Dettori's at the Cresta Court
 
1.62 miles    
Indian Curry Cottage
 
0.47 miles    
Oaklands Drive
Car park type: Surface
Payment: Pay and Display
 
0.88 miles    
Sibson Road
Car park type: Multistorey
Payment: Pay on Departure - Auto
 
0.94 miles    
Curzon Road
Car park type: Surface
Payment: Pay and Display
 
1.10 miles    
Broad Road
Car park type: Multistorey
Payment: Pay on Departure - Auto
 
1.16 miles    
Balmoral Road Off Moss Lane
Car park type: Surface
Payment: Free
 
1.78 miles    
Barclays Bank
 
0.73 miles    
HSBC
 
0.84 miles    
The Royal Bank of Scotland
Tesco
 
0.95 miles    
HSBC
 
0.95 miles    
The Royal Bank of Scotland
 
1.00 miles    
Navigation Road Station
BR Operator: Northern
 
1.24 miles    
Altrincham Station
BR Operator: Northern
 
1.85 miles